Monday, September 1, 2008

The weekend that wasn't....

This was a weekend that I look forward to all year long; and I blew it.

Saturday my family had plans to go to the Ellensburg Rodeo; Brett and I did not make it. You see I had my moment of gracefulness; one that gave me the nickname Grace that I get called every now and then.

I missed the bottom step of a step stool in my closet, got caught up in some clothes on the floor and heard a big 'ol pop in my ankle. It's 8:30am and we were planning on leaving around 11am. Alissa and Jillian were such good care takers! Alissa called Brett, he was gone changing/checking  water, she and Jillian got a bag of ice for me and Jillian continued to check on me as I was crying. I cried for two hours! Brett got home about 15minutes after it happened and tried to asses the situation; he was confident that I sprained my ankle I, on the other hand,  was sure that I broke it. My justification - I used to sprain my ankle all the time as a kid (hence the Grace nickname) the whole joint swells and you can't pinpoint one area that hurts worse than another. I could pinpoint EXACTLY where it hurt and the rest I could touch without much wincing. 

After Brett's parents came and got the kids to take them to the rodeo (cause they still wanted to go - don't blame 'em); after an hour of icing it and having taken 4 ibuprofen (two hours after it all happened); Brett took me to the clinic. My pain wasn't letting up. Brett bet me $100 that it was sprained, I gladly accepted as I was confident it was broken!

After a half an hour visit at the clinic, getting x-rays and examined, I go out on my crutches in an air cast with a sprained ankle. I was told to keep it elevated and iced for the next two days so that's what I did. A whole lot of nothing!

I still have no idea what Brett's planning with that $100 but I am happy that it isn't broken.

Our last official weekend of local rodeo, seeing friends, and having a great time....gone! I'll have to wait until next year!

No comments: