Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's so nice to know that I am not the only parent with OCD tendencies...

Today, when I was taking Alissa to her class for the first day of school I overheard the tail end of a conversation between a teacher and parent. The parent must of said something regarding how happy she was school was back in as this was the teachers reply; "I don't know why parents say that! The whole thing is that the kids are back into a routine..." I also think that something in the way of the kids were only home for three months and teachers have them for nine was also part of their conversation; it was trailing off as I walking away. The whole truth of the matter is yes, life is back to a routine.

We all (parents) try to cram so much into those three months off that its go, go, go! No time to create routine so when its time for school to start again we can't wait! Or, it could just be that we're exhausted from entertaining them 24/7 for the last three months without the break of them going to school each day. :) You decide. Anyway...

Alissa's first day was a success! She was SO excited to go! She got up  without a whimper or whine, got ready for her day, and walked with excitement to her new classroom. No fear, total excitement! I know she is in the third grade now but I always had a little hesitation of the new year at her age; didn't see a trace of it in her. She was so happy to see her friends and see the staff at her school - they're all her friends! She is truly a social butterfly! She's already made plans to have a sleepover with her "best friend" Nicole. "Mom, since you don't know where she lives, I can ride the bus home with her, spend the night, go to school the next day, and then you pick me up; okay?" WOW! She really thought that through; too bad it won't happen on a school night like she's planning. We'll see how it really plays out.

Alissa outside her classroom today

New outfit, new school bag, and tissues for the classroom
 
Jillian has slow start tomorrow which is an orientation for me; so we'll go together and leave together. Yesterday, I was all sad in the thoughts of this day. After today, spending it just the two of us, I can't wait for her first full day which is Tuesday. GOOD GRIEF! She has been a handful! I'm chalking it up to "the change"; Preschool to Kindergarten, different schools, different teachers - that's all a big deal! I get it, truly. But today, she been acting out in extremes that I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with before. All of a sudden today she's been acting like she's three! Whining, throwing attitude when she doesn't get what she wants, rolling her eyes like a teenager - UGH! It's got me so frustrated this evening that I am going banana's! She is seriously five going on sixteen; she knows it all - just ask her! (Right now, this blog is therapy! Please excuse my rant - I'll get over it soon.)

After a good nights rest, I'm 100% positive that I will be back to my sadness for her big day. (Sadness isn't really the right word, but you know what I mean.) I'll be home alone next week, without my girls, lost for a little while. The funny thing is that I have been longing for a day to myself for awhile but the last time I got one I couldn't focus on those "me" things I wanted to do! My routine was off from taking care of them that it created a mini chaos for me. Go figure.

I'm sure Brett's already got grand plans of my time while the kids are at school. My time is usually not my own, hence why when I get "me time" I'm at a loss of how to manage it. We'll see. I've got grand plans for my time myself; painting, scrapbooking, house projects, etc. Those alone will take me to winter break in addition to transporting the girls to dance 4 nights a week, CCD, and horseback riding lessons. Oh, and my one day a week job. It's gonna be crazy; but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

No comments: