Friday, October 3, 2008

I need to vent a bit...

What has happened to personal responsibility? Accountability? Care for your fellow "man"?

In the last couple of weeks I've had more reality than I'd like on how people have given up and don't care! 

Two examples: 

The economic crisis; it's a complete blame game! "..the last 8 years..", thank you for identifying the problem, let's move forward with a solution. I am beginning to feel that they won't move forward because a) they fear to further fail and be accountable or b) don't know or want to seek the solution. I'm not sure what's worse but I have had enough already!

On a more personal level; my dear friend Tracy... A little back story, Tracy suffered a brian aneurism in March that her MD told her he's only seen in autopsy; in other words, he's never seen anyone survive this type of aneurism. She, in herself, is a miracle in the fact that she has no physical changes that can't and won't be overcome. She has hurdles to overcome and has to learn a new normal of life but in the end she will be stronger and more protective about the things that matter most to her in her life. She is strong and she has and will continue to overcome her obstacles. I am very proud to call her my friend and I admire her strength.

Two weeks ago, Tracy's daughter Heidi was assaulted at school. She had been having issues with this girl for a few weeks prior and went to her parents and the school officials for guidance in how to handle the situation; she is 15 and very wise for her years. She ignored the threats and the insults in a means to not accelerate the situation; she rose above the game.

Unfortunately, Heidi's strength only aggravated this girl more and lead her to hurt Heidi. According to witnesses, Heidi was picked up and thrown into the concrete wall and floor of the school and knocked unconscious. As she was unconscious, the girl continued to physically assault her. Heidi had to be transported by ambulance from the high school to the hospital. The medical staff at the hospital strongly feared that Heidi had a bleed in her head. Heidi suffered a concussion in addition to the bruises left physically and emotionally.

I am angered for multiple reasons. According to staff and students at the high school there are fights ALL the time. Some students say that it can start as simple as accidentally running into someone, they shove back and then it starts. WHY!! Why is this allowed? Why is it acceptable? I attended this high school and although times have changed and there are many more students there than before I don't see that as an excuse. What happened to respect? What happened to discipline? If there are fights "all the time" I would assume that some are happening in the halls; where are the teachers? I can understand a fear by the teachers to be outnumbered by the students but find a way to overcome it! Sitting there not doing anything only shows the students that they can get away with it! If they were to attack a teacher I guarantee it would only happen once. The wrath that would come from the community, the school, and student peers would break the cycle. I don't want harm to brought to anyone but our youth looks to their peers for guidance whether they appear to be observant or not. It is the peers responsibility to set the bar. Where did this fail? What generation started the "I give up"?!? That's what I feel parents these days have done, they've given up. Parenting isn't easy folks, it can downright suck at times, but it is a parents job to teach respect and it's a parents job to teach accountability for your actions. It's time to step up to the plate and take your responsibility parents, teachers, and peers. Stop living in fear of no longer being the childs' friend; you are suppose to be the one in control, it's time to step up to the plate.

There are at least two more examples that I have but it's the same bottom line; lack of accountability, respect, and respect for others. 

Please keep my friend Tracy and her family in your thoughts; they are a tight knit family and have many people that love and support them bringing them great strength, but these obstacles have tested that strength. Thoughts from others help them remember that their not alone. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

I know that Tracy reads my blog. Tracy, I hope that I have not upset you or crossed a line in our friendship. I love you and your family and wanted to share how proud I am of you and I hope that my rant puts a fire in those that read it and give them the voice that this is not okay.

No comments: