Friday, October 3, 2008

A scary moment...

On our way home from school, Brett called me and asked if the girls wanted to go horseback riding. OF COURSE!! We went home and the girls got ready and we headed over to the shop. When we arrived, Brett already had Bert and Eclipse saddled and ready; he told the girls to let him warm them up and then they'd all go. COOL.

Today, they were all going to ride in the pasture vs. the round pen. Exciting for them, nerve racking for me. This is something I know that I need to overcome. My girls don't know it all but know enough to be lead by Brett outside a pen. He had a lead rope and everything! But I still got nervous. As I tried my best to bury me fears deep inside and cheer my family on as they were headed out the gates to the pasture, Eclipse freaked out about something! He started to hop and popped the lead rope Brett was holding out of his hand and just misbehave to say the least! He got at least one good buck in before I made it over to grab the lead rope and get Bert away from Eclipse; in my mind it's only a matter of moments before Bert starts up just out of the chaos. As I grabbed the rope Alissa started freaking out in a high pitch and as Bert went into a spin not sure what he was to do. I tried to get him to stop but Alissa's fears got the best of her and spooked him more. Both girls fell off and Brett got a hold of Bert and I moved the girls out of the area. Alissa was FREAKED! Rightfully so, we all were, but unfortunately horses respond to that.

After I held them close and made sure that they were okay, everyone was fine - just shaken up, I started to talk about what just happened. I explained that no matter how scared we are we need to be the one in control and that is SUPER hard but this won't be the last time they get bucked off. So, let's go through it: no panicing, no high squeeling, keep your feet forward when riding double - if you get your boots hanging back by their hips they can wig out a bit, get your feet set in the stir-ups and regain control. If you do fall off, you have to get back on both for the horse sake and for yourself. 

The getting back on was the hardest for Ali; she was ready to go back home! Again, I was burying my own fears to be strong for my kids; truth be told, I wasn't too anxious for them to get back on either, not while Brett was continuing to have issues with Eclipse - still unknown what his issue was. I knew that they needed to get back on but the protective mom in me wanted to erase their fears, not make them face it. I am proud of them and myself, they got back on Bert and Brett and I walked them around in the pen. Good job girls! The girls left looking forward to another ride.

Brett stayed awhile and worked Eclipse.

It was a scary moment but we all worked through it together. I am proud of us.

No comments: